Thursday, April 21, 2011

help. (122/365)


I finished reading Kathryn Sockett's book.

Noun

S: (n) aid, assist, assistance, help (the activity of contributing to the fulfillment of a need or furtherance of an effort or purpose) "he gave me an assist with the housework"; "could not walk without assistance"; "rescue party went to their aid"; "offered his help in unloading"
S: (n) assistant, helper, help, supporter (a person who contributes to the fulfillment of a need or furtherance of an effort or purpose) "my invaluable assistant"; "they hired additional help to finish the work"
S: (n) aid, assistance, help (a resource) "visual aids in teaching"
S: (n) avail, help, service (a means of serving) "of no avail"; "there's no help for it"

Verb

S: (v) help, assist, aid (give help or assistance; be of service) "Everyone helped out during the earthquake"; "Can you help me carry this table?"; "She never helps around the house"
S: (v) help, aid (improve the condition of) "These pills will help the patient"
S: (v) help, facilitate (be of use) "This will help to prevent accidents"
S: (v) help oneself, help (abstain from doing; always used with a negative) "I can't help myself--I have to smoke"; "She could not help watching the sad spectacle"
S: (v) serve, help (help to some food; help with food or drink) "I served him three times, and after that he helped himself"
S: (v) help (contribute to the furtherance of) "This money will help the development of literacy in developing countries"
S: (v) avail, help (take or use) "She helped herself to some of the office supplies"
S: (v) help (improve; change for the better) "New slipcovers will help the old living room furniture"


Definition of "help" from Princeton's WordNet

3 comments:

  1. What did you think of it? I felt disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it was pretty good but for some reason the end seemed a little lackluster...

    ReplyDelete